Maesteg School pupils celebrated another year of success in today’s A level results marking significant personal achievements. 96% of students achieved 3 A levels grade A*- E with over 40% of students achieving 3 A levels at A*- C grade. A quarter of our students achieved A*- B grades and have set the bar for our year 12 students who have achieved the most promising set of AS results in the school’s recent history.
Headteacher Helen Jones said, “We are pleased to see so many of our pupils gaining places at some of the country’s top Universities and securing valuable apprenticeships. These results reflect the dedication of our staff, parents and governors to raise the aspirations of our pupils so that they strive to achieve their very best and compete with the best also. They have made us all extremely proud.”
Notable achievements from this year are as follows:
- Sophie Evans achieved 1 A*, 2 As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and is going to study Medicine at Cambridge or Bristol
- George James achieved 2 A*s and 2 Bs and will study Architecture at Bath University
- Callum James achieved 2 As 1 B and 1 C and will study English and Creative Writing at Swansea University
- Luke Walker achieved 1 A, 2 Bs and 1 C and will study History in Swansea University
- Owain Davies achieved 2 As and 1 B and will go to Cardiff University to study International Relations and Politics
- Niamh Beynon achieved 1 A, 1 B and 1 C grade and will go to Reading to read English Literature and Art
- Amy Ford achieved 1 A, 1 B and 2 C grades and will study Bio-Engineering.
- Thomas Mines achieved 2 As and 1 B and will be joining the Royal Air Force.
“Our year 13 students now leave us to begin the next exciting chapter of their lives and we wish them every success for the future. They have been an asset to the school community and real ambassadors for what we stand for. Well done to all!”